Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I believe I may have an original print from Chicago worlds

Customer Question

I believe I may have an original print from Chicago worlds fair 100 anniversary poster but I am trying to figure out how to be sure
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It have the foley publishing company printed on the bottom right
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Some fading... Looks more pink than red
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

I will be help. What is the size and at your convenience, please send images.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The poster is framed to 25 5/8" x 39 2/8". See image
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Can you see evidence of silkscreen printing, which would show seam lines between the colors, or are all of the colors flat and seamless on the surface? If original, this World's Fair design illustrated by Weimer Pursell and published by Neely sells for $450 - $650 at auction. This is however a popular image and is reprinted by online poster sellers and decorative wall art publishers. A reprint sells for $25 - $40.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There appears to be seamlines on this image, correct?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We also have this poster that appears to be the same... I don't see a publishers name
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

From the images here, these appear to be a reprints.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are seams. What are the signs that this is a reprint to you?
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

When reprinted, the image of the seams would certainly show, however there is not degree of layers on this that would be on an original silkscreen printing. If out of the frame, there is a distinct chalky type of feel and a very subtle feel to the layers also.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The colors appeared to have "run" where there was some water damage... Also chaulky look and feel. Slight ridge between white paper and ink in certain areas
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

The chalky feel is indicative of a screenprint, and if you can feel that light difference in layer of each color then that too means it is a screenprint. From your observations, this is pointing to being an original. You may want to contact Chisholm Larsson posters in NYC to see if they would like to purchase this from you. Here is a link to their site for you: https://www.chisholm-poster.com/

~Nora