Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have what appears to be a Chinese good luck charm. It an

Customer Question

I have what appears to be a Chinese good luck charm. It an unknown metal (very heavy) with blue enamel work. It a small rectangular box with a Foo lion on top. Inside the box is a gold colored deity with a silver colored stand sculpted in a cloud design. There are bats and other traditional auspicious good luck symbols on each side of the box. It is approximately 1 7/8 tall and 5/8 wide. Trying to find out where is came from and when.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 6 months ago.

Hi Risa,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your good luck charm.

Thanks for the helpful photo of the interior and lid. Could you very kindly add another image or two so I can see the rest of it and the enamel work.

You can add as many photos as you wish, there's no limit or extra charge.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Robert,
Thank you. I have included additional photos as well as a comparison image of the one other example I found online.Risa

Thanks, ***** ***** got all the photos except for the comparison example.

But that's okay, I have more than enough to go on and will have a full answer for you as soon as I can tomorrow.

Have a great night.

Robert

Hi Risa,

What you have is a neat little pendant talisman, or portable shrine, a deity in a box with a removable cover and ornamented with a blue enameled foo dog (for protection), a bat (for longevity) and on the cover a shou symbol also for longevity.

It's a little hard to tell the gender of the figure, but because of the lotus flower she's sitting on, I'm almost certain it's meant to be Guanyin (sometimes spelled Kwan Yin) the goddess of compassion, mercy and love in the Buddhist tradition and the equivalent of the Virgin Mary and the Egyptian goddess Isis. She is also a bestower of children -so be careful how you handle her. The lotus flower she's sitting on represents spiritual purity.

The metal is called paktong, (an alloy similar to pewter in the West) that often has a high content of lead which accounts for the weight.

It's not that old. These began coming out of China in the last quarter of the 20th century and yours may even be newer than that.

As for value, not a whole lot I'm afraid. They just haven't been around long enough to have accumulated any premium with collectors.

If you were to see yours for sale in a vintage store, it would have a full retail value of around $75. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay etc).

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert