Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have a dining room from great grandparents circa

Customer Question

I have a dining room from great grandparents circa 1920-1930. Looking for approx value. Brass plate in hutch reads Brickwede Brothers Better Built Furniture, Marietta Ohio. Table, six chairs one with arms, table expands to 90", table pads for 90", Hutch and Buffet.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also want to know best way to sell? Craigs list, Ebay, local dealers or your suggestions.
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

"Brickwede started in 1850's making tea tables and fireplace mantels. Earlier furniture is quarter sawn oak as wide as 21 inches with solid oak bottoms in drawers
He made obviously handed the business down to sons or grandsons and it became Brickwede Bros Fine Furniture and used a square brass tag from 1917 to 1959."

Your Brickwede Bros dining set from the 1920s-30s would have an estimated retail value of $3100-3600 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Amazon Marketplace:

Or your nearest where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

A method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,