Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have an 1846 sterling silver tea set marked London with a

Customer Question

I have an 1846 sterling silver tea set hall marked London with a mark "IW" as the maker. Can you identify him for me. The set is an engraved presentation set to an ancestor I figure if I know the maker I can get an insurance valuation.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you need a picture? I need an insurance value.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here are the pics I hope
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

One of my former store's specialties was English antique silver.

The sponsor's (maker's) mark is most likely to be that of ***** *****.

Your early Victorian sterling set assayed in London in 1846 would have an insurance value $2100-2200 assuming good condition.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 months ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,