Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I have a oriental bronze antique to appraisal. Where can i

Customer Question

I have a oriental bronze antique to appraisal.
Where can i take to be appraisal?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I live in Los Angeles.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
adding more pictures
Expert:  Robert S. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Chul,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your antique bronze. Thanks for all the excellent photos, I can see exactly what you have.

This is a reproduction of a Chinese ritual bronze vessel known as a ding, (called a tripod censer in the West) that first appeared in the late Shang or early Western Zhou eras, approximately three thousand years ago.

Looking at the signature, which is a calligraphic two character mark, it dates to the late 1800s or early 1900s. It may possibly be Japanese-made as the Tokyo foundries often copied these old Chinese forms at the time for export.

It is decorated in the traditional manner with relief panels of archaistic taotie masks and lingzhi clouds in on a leiwan ground intersected by shaped vertical flanges.

It's hard to tell exactly how big it is, but if that's a regular sized yellow dusting cloth, I would give it an auction value in the range of $400 - $600. Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $1200.

For an 'in the hand' appraisal you could do no better than to take it to IM Chait, an auction house that specializes in Asian art and antiques and whom I highly recommend.

IM Chait Gallery

9330 Civic Center Drive,

Beverly Hills, CA 90210, U.S.A

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,