AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have a color print of the Sans Souci gardens 18"X12".

Customer Question

I have a color print of the Sans Souci gardens 18"X12". Looks to be very old and has Italian, German and maybe Latin verbiage on the top and bottom. Can you tell me if it is worth anything?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

This is a hand-colored engraving printed Georg Balthasar Probst, from the late 18th century. It's in a Vue d'optique format. Here's an interesting article on that format, and Probst:

http://www.georgeglazer.com/prints/vista/stpetersburg.html

The value of this one would be around $250-$300 in its current condition. Here's another example from this set:

https://www.sandersofoxford.com/shop/product/le-derriere-du-chateau-royal-de-sans-soucy/

Please let me know if I can help further.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I see you have not yet accepted or rated my answer. Do you have further questions on these items?

Sincerely,

Jennifer

How do I rate an answer?

You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you. If the value of your question is more than the value of your deposit, then your deposit will be applied toward the balance due and the remainder will be debited from your previously specified payment method. Please remember that your Expert will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for the answer.