rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a little square silver box that is possibly a pepper

Customer Question

I have a little square silver box that is possibly a pepper grinder. It is approx 3" high with a round dome on top which is approx 1.5" higher than square section with a curved metal arm and a round handle, possibly bone or ivory? that turns a little grinder inside. Half the round dome up top at the front opens and closes. The sides and back
are approx 2"wide each side, the sides and back have intricate designs which includes a bird like figure on either side of each square with fern type plants, and a fountain type figure in the middle, with a crown on top. At the front there is a similar design up top of the square at approx 2.5" high with a little carved draw at 1/2" wide down with bottom with a little round lockable handle. I am pretty sure this is silver as it has a Hallmark under the base, in the draw on the handle, and inside the top opening. It is pretty heavy, at approx 400 grms. The carvings or designs on sides are slightly different, so I suspect hand made? Thank You.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This little box also has a emblem on the front of the square. On the left inside of the emblem on top is a 5 cornered star, under neath is the boy scout sign. On the right appears to be a face with long ears, or maybe ears?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry - or possibly wings?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  rarewares replied 7 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't send a photo at the moment, and the hallmarks are very small. Under the base are 4 separate hallmarks, from left to right it looks like D&J with a W underneath, then a lion figure, a face/mask, then the 4th is a Capital E. Under these Hallmarks is another one that looks a little o. In the draw there are 2, a lion and face/mask. In the half opening top top looks the same as the draw, and on the curved handle looks the same but very small. The grinder inside doesn't look silver, although the top inside does appear to be. The draw also has a gold tinge colour inside the draw which is different to the rest of the box. I haven't polished it with anything, as I have heard some polishing chemicals can cause damage, so it is pretty tarnished on the outside. My Phone No is a Australian mobile no and is(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can ring You on my mobile, as I have a reasonable plan that offers Me some free international call time monthly, but not sure what best time to correspond ? If You send Me a contact no, and the best time I can then contact You, then I will?

I do not participate in the live phone call service. I can still help with your item, though.

This is the mark of D & J Wellby Limited of London, England and the Capital E combined with the other symbols indicates a date of 1880 or 1940 and is sterling silver. I have added the date codes for these two years and you will have to determine the year by the shape around the E. A shield is 1880 and a square is 1940.

This is a sterling silver D & J Wellby grinder with gold wash drawer. Could be for nutmeg, pepper, coffee. That part is hard for me to know without a visual. You can use a silver cream polish and the piece will be fine. Wright's Silver Cream is the best (but that is here in the US). This piece has a current value of 700 to 800 AUD.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.