Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

Value of a Rules of Order hard cover book, copyright 1893;

Customer Question

Value of a Roberts Rules of Order hard cover book, copyright 1893; printed 1895
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

Robert's Rules of Order was originally published in 1876. It was written by Henry M. Robert and has been maintained by his successors and various publishers over the years. A 2nd edition followed later than same year and a 3rd edition was first published in 1893. In fact, they just published their 11th edition in 2011. By your dates, you should have a copy of the 3rd edition from 1895. It's very old copy, but not quite a first edition.

Based on my records of past sales with antique and higher booksellers and current listings, it should have a current market value in the range of $10 to $15 for a copy in fair to good condition (some shelf rubbing, minor scratches, etc) and $15 to $25 for a copy in very good to excellent (solid cover, no tears, no major stains, etc). Based on your description, your copy should fall in the high end of the very good to excellent range.

I really wish I could say it was worth a whole lot more right now. That's not to say the value won't go up as these older copies get harder to come by, especially if it's in good shape because many have not held up over time.

If you do decide to sell it, I'd contact vintage book shops in your area. You might also check with local antique stores. There are a number of collectors that deal in books.
You'll definitely get a higher value by selling it yourself.
If you want to try selling your book yourself, I highly recommend checking out Etsy, Barnes and Nobles Marketplace and Amazon's Marketplace. They are great sources for selling and they do handle worldwide sales.

You can also check into: ***** ***** Biblio. Albris actually has one of the best price rates out of three, but Biblio tends to get more customer traffic.

If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.

I hope this has been helpful to you.I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively.If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

I look forward to working with you again.

Have a great evening.