Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I have this inkwell I'd like to sell or donate. How much is

Customer Question

I have this inkwell I'd like to sell or donate. How much is it worth, and what's the best way to sell or donate it?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you have a picture of it that you can send?

.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos.
.
Here's another way that works really well:
.
Go to http://www.imgur.com.
Click "Computer".
Double click the image you want to upload.
Click "Start Upload".
When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.
.
If those don't work you can email them.
.

Email the pictures to***@******.***

.

They have to be sent from the same email address that you used to sign up Answer (which is usually the email address you use to Log In). It has to be the same email address or JA won't recognize it and they'll just delete them.

.
Make sure you tell them that you've tried everything and that you're trying to get pictures to me (DianaF) in antiques and give them your screen (customer) name and your real name.

.
That should do it.

.
Thanks,

Diana

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Inkwell pix attached! Thank you.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Bonnie. Thank you for the bonus on the tankard question. I really appreciate it. Thank you for the pictures. I'll take a look at these and see what I can put together for you.

~Diana

Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Bonnie.
Does that have any marks on it?

.

~Diana

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No marks whatsoever inside outside or bottom.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have a note that says "Grandpa Price's gold pen which he used to write letters to my mother during the Civil War. They were not married then." A separate note says "Cleaveland ...silver Brass inkwell Grandpa Price (Quill?) Inkwell"
Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Bonnie.

Thanks for getting back with me.

.

Hmm... If it was used in the civil war, that would place it being as old as the mid to late 1800s. The style is more early 20th century though. It's possible the original pen used with it might date to the civil war though. The style of the inkwell is more Arts and Crafts, which would put it around 1880 to 1910 or so.

..

The style actually remind me of the style of the desk sets Bradley and Hubbard produced during the early 1900s. The main part of the inkwell look like brass, but the base almost looks like bronzed cast iron. It was some wear and aging but you can actually still see some of the original yellow coloring. The inside is a ceramic insert. It looks like you even have a few original pen tips too.

.
The condition will affect the value a bit, but it should still have a sale value of about $50 to $75. It would have an insurance or donation value of $100.

.
I know I said most of this before to you, but just to repeat:

Prices will vary a bit depending on the condition of your bowls and where you try to sell them. Online markets (like Ebay) and garage sales tend to go for far less than value.
.

Etsy and Amazon's Marketplace are great alternatives to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores too, but they generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, they may be a bit too pricey, but they do get the "higher" paying customers. Etsy generally charges much less than they do to set up a store and sell items.
.
You might check out the consignment cost with any local antique shops. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final sell price, but in dealing local you generally have less competition. It's always worth checking out.
.
There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.

.

If you have any questions, let me know (and you should be able to rate now, but if you run into a problem let me know).

.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
Have a great afternoon!
~Diana