Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a Connor, gold, pendant watch inscribed 1886. I

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Connor, gold, pendant watch inscribed 1886. I cannot find any information on it. ??
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Glenda
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
.
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got the email saying you answered--but there is no answer!! I am signed in to my account. I've been charged for the service and don't see my answer anywhere.

Hello

I am not sure what you got, I have not answered this at all. I need to see pictures in order to answer it.. could it have been an email that says, " the expert has responded to you"

Glenda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Weird. I sent photos to you an hour ago, your name in the subject line.

Hello

As I stated it can take up to 24hrs for them to forward to us.

Glenda

Hello

I got the picture of the watch, can you tell me if there is any other name on this besides Connor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I was able to get the case open and borrowed a watch book from the local watch repair guy in town. Inside the watch it is inscribed:" B.W.C Co." (Brooklyn Watch Case Company)
Warranted
263254 (serial number)On the main body of the works it is inscribed "MC Connor, Burlington, Iowa"I did further research in a book of vintage watch works and the movement looks almost identical to one made by JP Stevens. However, what the connection of JP Stevens to Connnor is I have no idea.Lastly, the watch guy counted 17 jewels in the movement, so a higher quality piece. He and I speculated a bit about the maker as I could found absolutely nothing on MC Connor, Burlington Iowa. The family member that owned the piece was from Burlington, Iowa, but was born in 1887 (the watch is dated 1884). That's what I was able to piece together since I sent you the photos.

Hello

I found in further research, 1800's M.C. Conner, Burlington Iowa Rockford Watch Co., Illinois M.C. Conner, Burlington Iowa Gilt, Transitional, M C Conner Private Label Jeweler.

I can give you the market value for this if you like?

Glenda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was hoping for more information about the watch and than I found. The information you found doesn't really add a thing to what I already learned. How do you determine market value?

Hello

They way to determine the value is like we do with all private label watches. The watch is made by the Rockford Watch Company the case was produced by the Brooklyn Watch Case Company. These two companies commonly made watches for private label jewelers like yours was. I just need to know if the case is marked 14 kt gold?

Glenda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the case is marked 14ct gold. When I looked up the serial number the Rockford company one one that had that number in the right year range. According to what i found there were about 1000 of these watches made.

Hello

What serial number did you use? The one from the case or the one inside by the works?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
263254; that's the number stamped below the word "warranted"It's on the inside of the case

Hello

If this is written on the case, that is the serial number for the case, the watch serial number is ***** the inside by the works. I need to see the serial number on the watch.

Glenda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
51077. The watch works, I'm not sure I said that earlier.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
wait....31077...

Thank you,

No, that was not mentioned that I can find.

.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
The 14 kt Gold Pocket Watch, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it, clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this, thank you for taking time to rate this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your expertise. I appreciate it. I disperse fine estate items and this watch is from a world reknown family. I'm pretty sure they don't want to sell it, but rather have an idea of general value. They have the provenance to prove ownership and I imagine that would affect selling price at auction. It's not quite Abe Lincoln's watch, but in that realm. Again, my thanks.

Hello

Yes, it would the more provenance they have the more it will sell for. History means so much.

.

Glenda,
.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda