Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I inherited an oil painting on a board, not signed but

Customer Question

I inherited an oil painting on a board, not signed but marked "N.Condy 1805" on the back. It is not in the greatest condition. How do I know if it is a real Nicholas Condy? Where would I take it to be sold?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello

Is this on an actual board?

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its an old piece of wood. Ill send you another photo

Hello

Thank you. In researching this, I contacted an Art Professor that I know. I found that Condy signed his work on the lower right corner as N Condy. Is your piece signed? I also found that Condy, Nicholas, (English, 1793-1857) He mainly produced small water colors on tinted paper, about eight inches by five inches, which he sold at prices ranging from fifteen shillings to one guinea each.

He did do some work on panels. They were thin wood panels, they were signed.

I found his work was reproduced often by other artists, they would paint things he did and give him credit for them, usually by something on them showing that it was originally his work. Maybe that is why this one has the sticker on the back, indicating the art was originally his.

Are you sure this is a hand painted piece and not a print that has been applied to this board?

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The painting is so dark from age that there may be a signature on the front that has been obscured. How could I tell if it is a print applied to the board?

Hello

The only way to know 100% that this is his is to have someone look at this for you to determine if there is a signature and if it is a painting.

I can tell you what this is valued at if this is his. You can take this to your local Art Museum, or a local Art Appraiser, just to have them look at it. Not to appraise it for you. So they should not charge anything.

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will take it to my local art museum and ask if it is real. If it is real, what would the approximate value be and where would i go to sell it?

Hello

That is a really good idea.
.

.
The Nicholas Condy Art, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at.

.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it, clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this, thank you for taking time to rate this.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda