Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have a Chelsea Ships Clock that was my grandfather's. It

Customer Question

I have a Chelsea Ships Clock that was my grandfather's. It appears to be a Commodore model, 6" screw bezel case in Copper Bronze, Serial number is ***** It was sold between 1915-1919. Any idea what the value might be today?? Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Is it similar to the following clock?

Any other marks or names on the clock?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Similar in style and shape.....color is darker....either bronze finish or copper bronze. The serial number is ***** the bottom, which is a wooden piece that is inserted in the metal frame. It has the Chelsea Ships Clock wording on the face and has Boston, Massachusetts also. I will look more closely once I am home.

Thanks. If it's possible to upload a photo, that would help me be most accurate. Clock styles and names were changing a lot around 1916, 1917.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I examined the clock last night.....the face appears coppery (looks like the silvered surface has faded) and in the upper center has the words Chelsea Clock Co, Boston U.S.A (underneath). Lower down on the face are the words Ship's Bell. The base is bronze and the bottom plate (inserted into the metal frame) has the serial number 109458, also written in pencil along the edge of this wooden bottom plate is CL10406. I have researched the serial number and according to the Chelsea Clock Co website that number reflects being sold between 1915-1919 (#097529-136237). I have taken a photograph and will try to send it later this morning. I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you.

Great thanks! As soon as you get me a photo I can value it for you. Resale, or retail for insurance purposes?