Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a small blue smudged bowl, gold trim and I believe

Customer Question

I have a small blue smudged bowl, gold trim and I believe initials on the bottom are HRL. The bowl belonged to a deceased relative.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Cynthia,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your beautiful bowl. How big is it, about 6" diameter?

Also, could you very kindly attach a photo of the underside so I can see the mark.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the bowel is about 5" diameter.

Thanks for the photos and the dimensions, I've managed to figure out the marks.

Your bowl is Japanese and made by a contemporary porcelain works called the Matsumine Kiln and is therefore no older than the 1970s or 1980s and may be newer than that.

The three characters on the bottom are kanji script and read, top to bottom:

松峰窯

which translates as: Matsumine Kiln

They specialize in these pretty blue & white bowls with traditional sometsuke designs, in yours, a swirling pattern of alternating brocades copied from 18th century Japanese textile patterns.

This porcelain has not been around long enough to have gained any premium with collectors quite yet. If you saw it for sale in an antique or vintage store, your bowl would have a full retail price of about $25. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Expert:  Robert S. replied 8 months ago.

Hi Cynthia,

If you're happy with my appraisal, please go ahead and click on the stars to rate my answer, when you get a moment, as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer (at no extra cost to you).

Many thanks.

Robert