Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Value of antique german blue onion porcelain cannister set

Customer Question

value of antique german blue onion porcelain cannister set
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Gregory,
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your blue onion canister set.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of the set (how many canisters?) and a photo of the mark on the bottom.

Many thanks,

Robert.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
7 cannisters: 2 large ("Crackers", "Coffee"); 2 medium ("Cut Sugar", "Granulated Sugar"); 3 small ("Tea", "Powered Sugar", "Rice").
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The mark on the bottom is "B4",and"Germany"

Great, thanks for that.

What does the mark on the bottom say?

Okay, got it. No maker's mark.

This sounds like it's an old set. The one marked "Cut Sugar" dates it to the first quarter of the 20th century and is the old fashioned name for cube sugar.

Without a name it's hard to attribute the factory where this set was made. A great number of the Thuringian and Bavarian porcelain factories produced their own version of Blue Onion, made famous, of course, by Meissen who were the first to produce it.

As far as value is concerned, these canisters are highly collectible. If the porcelain is in good condition with no chips or cracks on the lids, etc, then each one would sell at auction or on line (eBay) in the range of $80 - $120.

The large "Crackers" would sell for a little more, say $120 - $180. The "Cut Sugar" and the "Granulated Sugar" are also a little harder to find and would sell in the range of $100 - $150.

So as a set you are looking at a total auction value of at least $600 - $800.

It therefore has a full replacement value for insurance purposes of $1600.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.