Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have inherited a 66 piece set of Towle fine silverware

Customer Question

I have inherited a 66 piece set of Towle fine silverware marked "Sterling Silver" ... How do I price it's value and/or find the most reputable way to sell it as I'd rather ensure someone who would use it could have it. Thanks.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Scot,

This is Robert here and I would be happy to help with your Towle service.

Could you very kindly give me an exact inventory of the pieces, that is, number of dinner knives, forks, spoons (type) and serving pieces, etc.

Or photograph the whole set and I'll do it from this end.

Also, a photo of one of the handles so I can see the pattern.

And do you have a wooden box for it?

Finally, if you give me your zip, I'll see what options there are near you for selling.

Many thanks,

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is "Old Master". We have 12 sets of 5 pieces (salad fork, dinner fork, knife, soup spoon, teaspoon) and 6 serving pieces that have (2 large serving spoons, 2 large serving forks, 2 pie slice servers). I don't have the set handy but can procure a photo soon. We do not have a box, they are stored in a blue velvet lined drawer with Towle logo on it. Zip 15243

Okay, thanks that's all I need to know.

No need for a photo, I have a stock photo of the Old Master pattern. This pretty rococo design was first issued by Towle in 1942 and still remains popular today. Although its manufacture has long since been discontinued, it's still readily available on the secondary market, (auctions and on line sales such as eBay) so you should have no problem finding a buyer for it.

Here are the value ranges to expect if you were to sell on the secondary market, in other words at a good antique auction house.

12 dinner forks................480 - 720

12 salad forks..................280 - 420

12 knives........................216 - 324

12 soup spoons...............280 - 420

12 teaspoons..................160 - 240

2 large serving spoons..... 60 - 90

2 large serving forks........ 100 - 150

2 pie slice servers.............60 - 90.

Total......................circa $1600 - $2400 for the set.

Looking at options in the Pittsburgh area, your best auctioneer for this set would be:

Dargate Auctions

214 North Lexington St
Pittsburgh, PA 15208

http://www.dargate.com

Also:

Constantine & Pletcher come recommended, too.

*****br />Cheswick, PA 15024

http://www.cpauction.info

Make sure you clarify with the auctioneer what the seller's commission will be (rates vary from auction house to auction house) so there are no surprises.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Hi Scot,

If you're happy I answered your question, please don't forget to take a moment to click the stars as this is how I get paid for my services by JustAnswer (at no extra cost to you).

Many thanks,
Robert