rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a pair of antique silver vases I am interested in

Customer Question

I have a pair of antique silver vases I am interested in learning more about. They have unique markings I have not been able to identify. I am also interested in determining their value.Steve B
La Mirada, CA
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They measure 24" tall.
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

This is a pair of 800 purity French silver repousse vases from circa 1890. This is the French import mark of Mercury that was placed on items that were imported from 1840 to 1973. Repousse was a late 1800's technique. The other marks (the screenshot) are impossible to see, but those would be maker and date marks most likely. In these cases, dealers just call it Continental silver when exact maker is not known. I might be able to do more with better photos of marks-use an old toothbrush and some toothpaste or silver cream in that area to clean the marks. I'd be happy to look again with new photos.

Repousse is a silver term that means 'pushed out' and refers to the work of creating the scene in the silver by pushing it out from the inside.

Sterling silver is 925 (92.5%) purity, so 800 (80% silver and 20% copper, zinc and nickel) silver is not considered sterling. The craftsmanship and the fact that you have a pair is what make these valuable rather than the purity of the metal in this case.

The value of this pair is $1800 or $900 each retail.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer. The thread does not close and we can still go back and forth after you do so.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.