Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Value of type 2 Lincoln, Stanton and Grant 18 inch gh by

Customer Question

Value of type 2 Lincoln, Stanton and Grant 18 inch high by Rogers
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the items and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
For some reason, I was cut off before I had finished giving the description of the item. I don't have a picture to send as I just don't know how to send one. Our daughter may be able to help me send a picture later when she comes. The Item is a plaster statue of Lincoln sitting and reading a large war map as Grant is pointing toward it, and in the background is Secretary of State Stanton cleaning his glasses. The front says COUNSEL OF WAR and on the back it reads PATENTED 1868 by ***** *****. It has never been painted and has never been retouched or broken, however it has some rough edges on the base and on Stanton's sleeve. It stands 24 inches high and is on an oak drum table, with a small reproduction Civil War cannon. It has been in the family approximately 96 years. ***** ***** lived from 1829-1904. They originally sold for $25.00 and 100,000 were created. Three plaster groups were made, Type A, B, and C. This is type B. I believe there is only 50 or so extant. One of these auctioned off for $15,000 but that was probably restored and over priced. This came from Erie, Pa and was purchased by my wife's grandmother. The people in Erie were moving and they were on their last day and Grandma purchased it for $15.00 and placed it on her little wagon and took it home.

I will wait for photos before I answer so that I can have a fuller idea of what you have.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not able to add the picture into the website now. It is not allowing me to add the picture through this web sight. Please provide an E-Mail address for me to send a picture of Statue Council of War. Thank you. Keith