Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Purchased at Wanamaker, Philadelphia, c.1967. Dept.

Customer Question

Purchased at John Wanamaker, Philadelphia, c.1967. Dept. 65-12.No. 7095. George the third half pint tankard almost 4". Beautiful body with bands of insides lines. Collet foot. A scroll handle. Left of handle is a HALLMARK. it is the Touch of TOWNSEND 7 COMPTON, Father & Son. Thomas Compton the father; Townsend the Son. This pewter mug made in England between 1801 and 1817. Bears the excise marks of George the 4th, William the Fourth, and also Victoria Regina. They were stamped C 182, C. 1830, C.1837. Engaged on front "Thos. Garrett FERRY BOAT RYE", the inn where this was used. What would the value of this mug be?

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

George IV was king 1820-1830 followed by William IV until 1837 when Victoria was named queen.

My research indicates that your well-marked tankard would have an estimated retail value of $475-600 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.

Or your nearest where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

How were you able to decide on the value? Looking at the photos I sent, how would you rate the condition? I've never cleaned the mug.

I researched what pewter mugs/tankards were selling for currently.

Plus, my former store specialized in small British antiques.

For over ten years, I traveled on buying trips to England and Scotland about 30 times.

As for condition, your pewter piece as shown in the small photo looks to just need cleaning - a fairly easy process if done carefully.

Kind regards,