Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

Attached are (I hope) three photos of a watercolor of

Customer Question

Attached are (I hope) three photos of a watercolor of cabbage roses dated 1913 and signed by F. C. Price. I have a photo taken in 1947 that shows this painting in our home at that time. I also have a large 5 x 3 foot oil canvas signed with the same signature and dated 1918. The oil was never stretched properly and is just raw canvas stapled to a wood frame. My grandmother’s family lived in Ohio during the1800s and Frank Corbyn Price (same man) was also born in Ohio in 1861. I have always assumed there must have been some connection that was the reason these two pieces are in our family. Although “Davenport’s Art Reference & Price Guide” lists F. C. Price and Frank Corbyn Price in separate listings, I have documentation dated 1904 to prove they are the same man. While he began his career selling his art to Tyco Jigsaw Puzzles, at some point in the 20th century he moved to England and remained there until his death in 1934. His popular genre seems to have been landscapes. I am therefore perplexed with the cabbage roses because they are not his usual subject. His wife, Lydia, was also an accomplished artist with her specialty flowers and I suppose it is possible that he signed her work. I am also confused to find that this piece is strikingly similar to Catharina Klein (1861-1929) who lived about the same time, but was in Germany. Can you give me a value of this watercolor? Any information you can supply will be appreciated. No rush to respond.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 3 months ago.

There was just one photo of the signature here. I would also like to see the painting and the back of the frame.

You can use the Add Files feature to add more pictures.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here's the primary photo. Sorry. Looks like only the last one was sent. Second photo was just a closeup without the frame. The back is completely covered with brown paper. Nothing to show there. Hope this one gets to you.

Have to honest here, I am unable to find a match that makes sense. This artist did watercolor but the quality is not a match and there would be no reason for Frank to dilute his reputation by signing his wife's (poor quality) art.

I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!