Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I picked up a pair of lamps at an estate sale. I was told

Customer Question

I picked up a pair of lamps at an estate sale. I was told they were from the mid-1940s, and cost $1200 at the time. I've never seen anything like them. They are quite heavy, made of brass and glass. The base is brass and has "Made in USA" marked on the underside of the base. Also on the underside is the marking "U.M.C." and a model number, but the number is ***** obscured by a plate fitted around the electrical cord. The number looks to be 6878 or 6978, but I'm not positive. The main portion of the lamp base is clear glass, marked "Made in France". The fitting for the actual lights is brass and has a pair of smaller bulbs. The shade is very heavy clear glass, it is hard to describe the shape, it is like a downward flowing star shape that ends in points. I have taken a photo if that helps.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
.
Please note I am unable to do live phone conversations. I will not send a message to you asking for a phone call. If you get a message asking to do a phone call, this is not from me. It is an automated message from elsewhere.
.
.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
The Lamps are US Made the Glass Portion of the Lamp is made in France. We have seen the U M C mark on other lamps made in the US but, there does not seem to be any information on them. These can be valued if you like?

Glenda