Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

We have a set of Rosenthal china that we believe came from

Customer Question

We have a set of Rosenthal china that we believe came from Germany in the 1940's. We would like to know what it is worth.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a picture of the stamp on the back of the china as well. I added it below. There are a dozen full place settings plus many serving pieces.
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

To give you the most accurate information, I need more information.

How many pieces does each of the 12 people have?

What serving pieces do you have? These can add as much as 30-50% to the value of a set.

Kind regards,
Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The set contains: (1) 14-1/2 x 11 platter
(1) 13 x 9-1/2 platter
(1) 8-1/2 serving dish with lid
(1) gravy boat
(1) sugar bowl
(1) creamer
(1) candy dish
(10) coffee cups
(12) saucers
(12) small bowls
(12) large bowls
(12) small plates
(13) medium plates
(12) large plates
(1) 9 square serving dish
Was the set produced in Germany? Do you know what year it was produced?

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

The Rosenthal mark you have is the Philip Rosenthal & Co. and was used 1922-present.

I will see if I can pin down date further.

I should return within 40 minutes.

Kind regards,

Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you! I look forward to hearing from you.

I am sorry but no date is given; however, since there is no identifying pattern number on your pieces, they would have most probably have been made 1922-1945.

My research indicates the current estimated retail value of your set would be $950-1150 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

How to pack and send china:

China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.
For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubble wrap.

Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.

Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.

In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.

Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrugated box with cut corrugated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.

After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crunched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.

Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.

Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.

On the top, write "This side up."

For expensive items, the Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.

If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from truck to truck.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

Hi there!

Kind regards,
Doris