Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

There is a working lamp that is in the family. It was given

Customer Question

there is a working lamp that is in the family. It was given to a grandmother when she was young by an aunt. The lamp comes from Egypt. It is round, has colored glass embedded in metal. The metal is gold in color. It hangs from a base that looks like gold. The switch to turn on the lamp is located on the base. It does work. Has been working for close to 100 years. Every night the lights shine through these colored glass circles. How do we get a value on said piece?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am disappointed. I realize you have no pictures, but what is your best guess
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There are no markings. It looks like someone made it. It does not appear "mass Made"

Antiques are visual , both for value and condition, but I can try to work without photos. I have added two pictures. Please let me know if your lamp looks similar to one of thee styles so that I can accurately tell you what you have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
neither picture is correct it is round about 12 inches diameter size of a soccer ball the glass pieces have metal around each color the metal is then placed into the hole of the whole shape made of metal the whole thing hangs the base is a large round gold colored with a rising center braided like hook that the round lamp hangs from the lamp sits on a round small table the on off switch is on the base the glass pieces looks like bubbles they are actually outside of the basic shape it is completely enclosed the top where it hangs comes off to replace small light bulbs

I am unable to find a match for this item without a photo. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
Please note I am unable to do live phone conversations. I will not send a message to you asking for a phone call. If you get a message asking to do a phone call, this is not from me. It is an automated message from elsewhere.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
If you are needing insurance on this, then it will have to be looked at in person in order for it to be valued. I am sure your insurance company will require a written appraisal on this, which cannot be done online. If you like I can help you find a list of appraisers to take this to in your area, you can have them do a written appraisal for you to give to your insurance company.