Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have some Royal Doulton Angelique fine china which I would

Customer Question

I have some Royal Doulton Angelique fine china which I would like to sell. I have six each dinner plates, cups and saucers, 5 bread/butter plates and six salad plates. I also have a creamer and sugar bowl, 1 oval platter and 2 oval vegetable dishes. What are they worth and what is the best way to go about selling them?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I also have a 4/four piece Rogers brothers sterling place settings with a couple of serving pieces.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.

Angelique by Royal Doulton was produced 1968-1995.

Your set as described has an estimated retail value of $1150 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:

In UK:

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Amazon Marketplace:

Or your nearest where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

How to pack and send china:

China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.
For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubble wrap.

Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.

Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.

In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.

Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrugated box with cut corrugated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.

After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crunched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.

Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.

Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.

On the top, write "This side up."

For expensive items, the Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.

If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from truck to truck.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,