rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have a west branch cedar chest that I was given the year I

Customer Question

I have a west branch cedar chest that I was given for Christmas the year I turned 16. It has a beautiful wood design on the front and round legs. Am looking for the value as well as some history on the company. May I send you photos?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: Sorry...this was given to me 37 years ago and was presented to me as an antique
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: May I srnd you pictures of the cedar chest?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 3 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry for the late response. Here are a few pictures of the chest. It has round legs however that aren't shown in these photos. It's in fair condition, a few scratches here & there, but has been kept in 'storage mode' most of the time I've had it. I appreciate any information you can provide.

The three photos are very helpful, but there is not a picture of the whole chest in the set of pictures.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry but the chest is actually in storage now. I'll get the full chest shot (my goodness that sounds awful! :-) ) to you tomorrow when my hubby can move things around. I'm sorry, just not able to move things around on my own due to health issues at this time. Another question, I paid $38.00 yesterday for this service. Does that mean that I have the opportunity to have a few other things appraised online for the month? I'm not interested in continuing, but I do see the advertisement for the $38 monthly charge after a free 7 day trial.

I will wait for photos. I have contracted to answer for this item only in this question. If you have more items, you start a new question and put 'hiCustomer#39; if you wanted to get me again. I prefer one item per question to keep things organized.

The experts work FOR the site but not AT the site, so I am not connected to how or
what you are charged. That is a question I am unable to answer because I am only given your name, question
and nothing else. There should be a customer support link on the bottom of your page and that would be the best way to find out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks. For being so patient. I'm sending the photos of the hope chest. You'll have the front, each side and the back view. There are a few nicks & scratches. However, that may just be normal wear n tear.

The West Branch Novelty Co. of Milton, Pennsylvania offered several dozen blanket chests.
Prices ranged from $40 to $80 back then and were often wedding or graduation gifts from parents to their children.

As the 1920s ended, cedar chests generally stood on small turned legs and had plain inscribed lines.
In the early 1930s, cedar chests had turned legs or bun feet and overlay veneers like yours does, so
I would date your chest to a bit after 1930. Imagine that this was made during the Great Depression in America,
what a time in America's history.

Your chest is missing some veneer on the sides and the obvious and expected signs of age.
This piece has a current value of $300 to $400.00.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you! You know, to think that this hope chest was made during the depression is absolutely mind boggling! Other than this email, is there something that can be sent with your company letterhead to indicate the value of the chest? I'd like to include it when I advertise it for sale. Also, should I try to repair the veneer, or leave as is? I hear yhat repairs can sometimes take the value down.

No, you should sell it the way that it is.

Since this is an informal, informational website, there is no official thing that I can offer you from the site.

You can, however, copy and paste what I wrote into Notepad, Microsoft Word or what ever program is most comfortable for you

so that you can print that out in order to help sell the item.

Do click the stars after you have read this answer.