AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

Edwin M. Knowles plates back in 80's. they are hand painted

Customer Question

Edwin M. Knowles plates back in 80's.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: they are hand painted plates of various outdoor scenes birds & children.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: no.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I am going to need a bit more information to answer your question accurately.

Please send photos of the pattern and clear, close-up photos of the marks on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Then I need to know how many your set serves.

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces are there? These can as much as 30% to the value of a set.

Kind regards,
Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

If you are having trouble with photos, you can contact customer help at this address.

http://http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
these are not eating plates. They are hand painted display plates to be displayed & observed only. 1. cardinal 2. Bluebird 3. Gold Finch 4. Downy Woodpecker 5. 2 Robin 6. Blue jay 7. Baltimore Oriole 8. Cedar Waxwing 9. Butch Fink 10. Corsican Nuthatch 11. The Great Titmouse 12. Red star 13. Blue Tit mouse 14. Golden Oriole 15. Chickadee 16. hummingbird 17. Fire Crest 18. Red Robin. children plates. 1. Gourmet 2. Day Dreamer 3. Expectation 4. Discover 5. Fascination 6. Wonderment 7. Disappointment Chinese 1. El Pao Chai 2. Yuan Chun. evaluate these plates & get back to me. thank you. p.s. If you know who buys these plates they are for sale. bye for now. have a good day.

I will need to opt out so that perhaps another professional might anwser.

There are far too many items here for me to answer.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

The plates you list all have current retail values between $15 and $28 each, with most valued at around $20 if they are still boxed.

These can all be sold to a site like Replacements.com, but they will only give you about 40% of the retail value.

Sincerely,

Jennifer