Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have 2 charcol drawings by Watteau. I need them

Customer Question

I have 2 charcol drawings by Watteau. I need them authenticated and certified for auction. Can you give me an approximate value of each and tell me where in the metro Detroit Michigan area I should take them
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I can help you with estimated auction value and locate a local certified appraiser that can authenticate your Watteau.

Please tell me the size of your drawings in inches.

Kind regards,

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Happy to work with you. They both measure 3 3/4 inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide. I looked at past auctions at Sotheby's and Christine's and got very excited - I feel like I have a Remrant or Picoso ( probably spelled those name wrong but you know what I mean )

Unfortunately, the auction results for Watteau's chalks/charcoals are very mixed. Many do not sell at all.

The sold auction results for those that are small like yours range from $201-117,000+.

The one that sold for $201 was the head of a girl similar to yours.

I think it best if your Jean Antoine Watteau drawings are assessed in person by an appraiser that can see them in person.

I hope this meets with your approval. Normally there is not such a wide range of values for

an artist's work. I want you to have the most accurate assessment possible.

Please allow me some time to find you the best appraiser near you to certify, authenticate and value your drawings in person.

Kind regards,

Here are two that are well-qualified, certified art appraisers in Michigan.

Michelle Conliffe

(###) ###-####/p>

Birmingham, MI

Kelly Knoll

(###) ###-####/p>

Washington, MI

I strongly recommend you contact one or both of them to give you the best valuation for what you should expect at auction.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that is what I found on past auction results at Sotherby's. The one that sold for 201 was in 1999 it seems to me that from 2005 and forward they took a enormous jump in price.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also the one that sol for 201 and the others in the lower price range are from the circle of Watteau and followers of Watteau and not Watteau, at least on the Christine site. Can you direct me to where you found the picture that sold for 201

The one that sold for $201 was definitely not the "school of", "followers of" or "circle of."

I used my art reference books as well as two art subscription sites.

See the following image showing the sale results for GBP130 which amounted to $201 in US dollars at the time of the sale.

I truly wish I had better news.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It states it was signed and he never signed his chalk's according to what I read. Do you have a image of his signature on chalk that you can share ?

See the following list of Watteau auction results:

I will look for signature samples for you.

Some of his pieces were signed and some were not.

Here is the drawing itself that sold for $201.

Kind regards,

Here is Watteau's signature.

He also sometimes signed as "Watt."

Kind regards,