AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.

I bought a ??? Antique Dresser with an hand crafted oval

Customer Question

I bought a ??? Antique Dresser with an hand crafted oval mirror and metal wheels and I can't find one like it anywhere. How do I find it's worth and origin
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
This is a 1920-1930's era serpentine front dresser with round swing mirror.

During this time period, veneers were used on furniture which were thin layers of decorative wood over composite wood

and I can see down on one of the drawers there is a bit missing.

This type of furniture was made by most makers in America, so unless there is a mark on the back of the dresser or a label inside the top left drawer, it would be impossible to know the exact maker.

The value of the dresser is $200 to $300 if there are no other issues than the bit of chipped veneer.

It is important that you click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I disagree because I too was able to find a generic description of the dresser, but mine is (not a circular as you said and other pictures show) my mirror it is oval), mine has different style legs and clearly different wood carving separate from the dress, the back has a unique way to mount the wood and mirror that you didn't mention and I think that has a lot to do with the real manufacture and age? I would like more insight please.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

The mirror certainly appears to be round--can you provide measurements?

Can you photograph the mounting you mention?

Please note that we are appraising relatively unique items, they will never be exactly the same, but the value may be similar even with differences in style and construction. (For example, an oval mirror does not really have a different value from a round mirror.)