Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985

I INHERITED A oil painting from my great- grandmother which

Customer Question

I INHERITED A oil painting from my great- grandmother which would be from early 1800's. The frame is various types of gold or like gold and is 3-4 IN. wide. I live in Punta Gorda, FL and would love to get more info or even send a picture, I needed. The painting is of a lake with mountains, typical scenic water type picture.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I just use cell phone pics which I can easily do and text them over? I'm not familiar with downloads from bigger cameras.

You can email pictures from your phone to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. I'll give it a go! Many thanks.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did the pics come through ok?

No, there are no photos here in the text box or in my email.

You should contact customer support and ask them to forward to me.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I haven't forgotten to work on the pic issue but have been tied up with other things. I will call today/tomorrow re/getting the pictures into your file/mail. Thanks.

Thank you!

I got one photo of the top corner of the painting with frame. There was no picture of the art, signature or back of the frame.

Could you try again?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure will do

I am unable to determine the artist. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and I have added your photo here. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Many thanks!!
Expert:  Wayne replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** have been buying, selling and appraising paintings since 1970.
Can you post a photo of the back of your painting?
Click the paperclip icon
Click the Browse icon
Click the Browse button
Select your file and click Open
Click OK
Click Insert
Click Save Changes on this page

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Wayne. I looked thoroughly with flashlight and inspected every inch of back and the painting as well. There is nothing of any marking or name. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Wayne replied 3 months ago.

No problem. I'm trying to date this painting by looking at the back of the canvas.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Understand. It's been in my family for many yrs but I got it in 1990s when my mom died. She was born I n 1905 so her grandmother, my great grandmother, painted this. But no one is alive now in that family,. I am not certain of her name
But I know my grandma s name. ....and where she lived.
Expert:  Wayne replied 3 months ago.

The frame is Victorian era plaster guilt. This was most likely done in Switzerland as you can see the alps and a large lake. This was a popular subject circa 1890-1910 painted for tourists to buy as momentos of their visit to the Alps. Similar paintings are still being painted today. It appears to be in excellent condition including the frame. It is common for these to be unsigned. This would sell for $400-600 at auction and insuranc value is $1200.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. Thank you very much.
Expert:  Wayne replied 3 months ago.

Is there anything else I can tell you about this? It is important that you click on the stars *****. This is the way justanswer compensates me for my time and efforts without additional cost to you. It has been a pleasure working with you.
Thanks again,