Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Thank You Doris, I also have 11 gold washed figural, apostle

Customer Question

For Doris. Thank You Doris, I also have 11 gold washed figural, apostle spoons in sterling by Henry Holland (HH) and 2 of the same pattern by JA over JS. I am wondering about value as well.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 10 months ago.

Welcome back. Thank you for requesting me.

I need more information about your spoons.

How long are they - teaspoon or dessert or tablespoon size?

Are all the figures the same or are they different? If any are the same figure, let me know.

Same information needed for both makers.

Kind regards,

Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They are all 5" long, gold washed, all same designs/figures, all 13 of them. Two are JA over JS, Queen in circle, E in shield, fancy lion and the Leopard mark. The other 11 are HH, Henry Holland, I believe. They have a very shallow spoon bowl, maybe 3/16" deep, if that. Tea spoon or smaller in size.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They look like Mother Mary and a child to me.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Two more, better, pics.Thanks,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
One more pic.

True apostle spoons have one of Jesus's disciples at the end. Yours have the Madonna and Child at the end. They are called figural spoons.

The two JA/JS bear the mark of the sponsors' John Aldwinckle and James Slater of the London assay office area (leopard's head). The style G date letter is for 1882-83.

The duty mark for the monarch is the head of Queen Victoria. The lion passant guaranteeing sterling silver.

The other 11 bear the mark of the sponsor Henry Holland of the firm of Holland, Aldwinckle and Slater, the duty mark, the lion passant, the leopard's head but the style date letter A for 1876-77.

The set of gilded sterling silver (known as "silver gilt") would have an estimated retail value of $650-700 assuming good condition and depending in sale location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA
Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.
Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris