Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

A friend gave me 3 dark skinned collector type dolls in need

Customer Question

A friend gave me 3 dark brown skinned collector type dolls in need of some TLC but in very good condition with 4 limbs and a head: arms & hands below the elbow, legs & feet below the knee (with a very well sewn cloth body and head with a wig (mohair, I think). I don't know if the limbs are hard plastic or bisque (even after reading the descriptions of each material online.) I had to reattach one of the legs and saw that it was hollow and the color was the same tone of brown inside and out. I gently scratched the back of the neck near the wig line and it made no mark. However, to me, it sounded like unglazed ceramic when I scratched it. There are no markings on any of the 3 dolls (unless it is under the wig or somewhere I cannot see without taking the doll apart.
One is dressed like a young girl in an ankle length red velvet dress with a matching hat.
Someone had "hot glued" decorations onto the red velvet dress and hat. I was able to remove them and hand sewed embroidered trim to cover the areas most noticeable.
One is dressed in a bright brocade skirt and a green velvet jacket (fitted at the waist) with a white fur collar, cuffs and hat to match.
One is dressed in a white satin and lace wedding dress. She has a pink flower headdress with a pink ribbon. Small pink ribbon roses have been "hot glued" into place on the dress (not sure If they were on the dress originally, but I doubt it)
All the dolls had false eyelashes except the one in red velvet. The lady who gave them to me had tried to wash her hair without removing the wig and I'm pretty sure she got the eyelashes wet in the process and they came off. I've ordered replacements.
Joe Ellen Rowe
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pictures of 3 dolls
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello

Are you wanting to know what an estimated value would be for these dolls on today's market ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Value plus a description of approximate time period and whether hard parts are bisque or hard plastic. It looks like you got my attachment with a picture of the 3 dolls. The instructions I got from your "help" line were so complicated, I wasn't sure if what I did (the simple way) worked.Thanks for your helpJoe Ellen

Hello

I cannot tell you all of that since I cannot see these in person. I cannot tell from a picture if parts are plastic or porcelain. I have never seen a doll with hard plastic that you could not tell was plastic. I also cannot tell you when they were made without seeing them in person, if they are not marked it is impossible to know the age. The best that can be done since they are not marked is a value based on past sales of similar dolls.

Glenda

.
Please note I am unable to do live phone conversations. I will not send a message to you asking for a phone call. If you get a message asking to do a phone call, this is not from me. It is an automated message from elsewhere.

Hello my name is Glenda,
.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
The Average price for each of your dolls would be an estimated value on the current market for an average of $115.00-140.00 each, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. We are independent appraisers who are verified to answer questions for the Just Answer site.
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give.

You must click one of the stars ( or rate expert ) in order for us to be compensated for answering your question.
.

Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
. Please Rate this in order for me to get credit for my work from the Justanswer site.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. I was hoping for more information about the dolls but having an idea of what they are worth is helpful. I'll try to find an expert with in direct contact distance to answer the other questions.

You are welcome, it will be hard for them to tell you the info you are wanting since they are not marked.

.

.

.
.

Glenda,

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.

Let me know if you still need help with this question.

I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.

I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda