Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a fine china tea set with interesting shaped pieces.

Customer Question

I have a fine china tea set with interesting shaped pieces. The mark is BROHOLM and a clean shields with an H on top and then a backward F and regular F. Was told it was over 100 years old and probably German. I can't find any info on the marking
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There was only the photo of the bottom that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the set as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I have 6 tea cups with plates and 6 salad plates. Then others that you see in pic. No teapot. Let me know if you need more pics

I will have to opt-out and allow another expert to answer as this pattern and mark are not familiar to me.

The next expert will see our conversation and your photos. Good luck!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Broholm is a part of Denmark....See this site to confirm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bornholm_County

Many hotels, ships dand department stores have china custom made for them. There was a Danish ship the SS Broholm as well hotels in Broholm. Your china, thus, was made for one of these exclusively.

The porcelain company H F and backwards F is an unlisted Danish factory commissioned to custom make your set.

My research and knowledge indicate that your set would have an estimated retail value of

$950-1150 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.