Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have some antique sterling silver spoons that were in my

Customer Question

I have some antique sterling silver spoons that were in my aunt's estate. I have identified that they are from different silversmiths in and around the New England area and some from NY. As best I can tell, they are from the early 1800's. Some of the Names include Harding, Platt Brothers, Bogle Brothers (VT), Matson and many more. I was wondering where I could obtain an accurate estimate of their value with an eye towards selling them.
Thanks
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

I can give your estimated retail values if you send a list.

Please include what type of spoon (tablespoon size or teaspoon size) next to the name of the silversmith.

I must warn you that coin silver does not usually sell for high prices unless very unusual or rare.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Doris
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. These spoons are about four inches long and have the silversmith markings on them. They appear to be more of a decorative or collectible item than one that one would set the table with. I can provide a list if you give me a day or two.

Yes, a list would help.

There is no hurry.

Kind regards,

Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.