Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a pottery plate that i picked up at a sale years ago.

i have a pottery plate that i picked up at a sale years ago. i live in riverside california. i dont know of an art appraiser in riverside. i tried an online site and they thought that it is japenese and from 1910 around that time. but that it was difficult to say without looking at it physically. i would like to know if you know of any art expert in this area. i am not very computer savvy so if you ask me to load pictures that may take some time for me. i am a member of this site and pay a monthly fee. my name is ***** ***** sekhon

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

If the Add Files feature on your screen does not work for you,
you can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1 have sent photos of the antique in question. i sent them to support just answer.com.i am not that computer saavvy so if there is some problem with yhe photos please let me know. thanks raminder

Thank you. It takes a while for me to get them, so you will get an email when I am ready with an answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you had said that it would take some time for you to answer back.Well I am still waiting. thanks

I never received your photos, I am so sorry.

Do contact customer service and ask them to forward to me.

This link might help you to try adding them here.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I hink I never got the pictures because you did not put in the correct address.

It should be***@******.*** without any spaces and with the @ . In a previous note, you wrote 'support just answer.com'

and that would not get to me. Maybe try again?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi I am not that computer saavy. I am not able to transfer the pictures to the justanswer website. however I can send you the pictures thru a normal email. Would that be ok.I can put my account number and Id on the email. Since I will send you about 5 pictures so I will send you 5 emails. I will include a description of each picture. regards

Email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line. Thanks!

There were 2 photos in my email this morning, however both were the same photo of the front of the plate.

I was hoping that there was a mark on the bottom that I could see. Let me know or add that to another email. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried to send the rest of the photos but kept tripping.maybe it is my phone or me.I will get a coworkers help when I go to work.thank you for being patient with me
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi I just sent rest of photos.one is of the inscription underneath the pottery piece
Another is of the writing on top of the wooden box in which the piece was found thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi.did you get the rest of the photos. I had sent them on 29 step.thanks

No, I did not get photos of the bottom of the plate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply.I have sent you four emails just now to to the justanswer email with message for rarewares in antiques.these emails show a close up of the marking at bottom of plate.A whole photo of bottom of plate.A photo of the printing on top of wooden box in which I found this plate and lastly the writing by somebody on underneath the lid of wooden box

The photos just were sent to me now. I am unable to find an exact match for this piece,

so I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer. They will see our conversation and photos (which I will add here for the next expert).

Hi Raminder,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your plate. I have all the photos you sent to Rarewares except for the one showing the top of the plate which she is passing on to me.

As soon as I get it (you don't have to do anything your end) I'll be able to give you a full answer and a value.

Meanwhile, can you let me know how big the plate is? Diameter?

Many thanks,
Robert.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Mr Robert. The plate is 8 sided and measurement from one side to opposite side is 8.4 inches.The plate has a raised lip on all sides meaning that it can hold a little bit of water.the height of the plate is half inch.

Okay, great, thanks for that info.

The previous appraiser (Rarewares) has just forwarded me this photo:

http://i.imgur.com/dcEnTtD.jpg

This is the only one she received of the upper side of the plate.

So, could you very kindly email me a photo of the entire top side of the plate and we'll go from there.

The email address to send it to is:

***@******.***

Mark the email for my attention Robert S. in the antiques category so they know who to send it on to.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Good morning Raminder,

The photo of the plate has just been forwarded to me, thanks so much for sending it.

I now have all I need. Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer and a value as soon as I can.

Best wishes,
Robert

Hi Raminder,

This pretty plate is decorated with a Japanese iris hanashōbu (Iris ensata) a particular garden favorite in Japan and much painted in the decorative arts, too. The artwork style is in keeping with a type of woodblock printing that became fashionable in the 1920s and 1930s called Hanga. Simple but bold botanical subjects that filled the whole page but with deliberate areas of empty negative space to emphasize the subject matter. So I would date your dish to the 1930s.

It was made in a small and somewhat obscure pottery called Hakenomiya located near the city of Kumamoto in Kyushu, the southernmost of the islands of Japan and very much the birthplace of pottery and porcelain there.

The kanji script on the tomobako (the wooden earthquake box) says:

八景水谷 窯

Which translates as "Hakenomiya Kiln"

and to the left of that,

絵皿 meaning "dish"

Two red seals, one for the Hakenomiya pottery and the other the rakkan (personal seal) of the decorating artist who painted the iris.

The incised mark in the back of the plate is for the individual who made the dish itself:

純 "Jun" -which also means "genuine, purity and innocence".

All of this is of curiosity value. In other words, it's great to know, but it doesn't add to or detract from the value of the item. There were thousands of kilns operating in Japan at the time and tens of thousands of decorators, of which only a very small number were, or are, collected "names". They would be obscure even to the Japanese, let alone in the West. In fact this decorator could well have been just a hobby artist or china painter rather than a full time professional.

So all-in-all, it's an interesting item as it represents very nicely a particular moment in the history of the ceramic arts in Japan just before World War II, after which nothing would ever be the same again.

As for value, not a great deal, though having the original tomobako does elevate it from the ordinary, they are so often lost or discarded. If you were to see your plate and box for sale in an antique store, together they would have a full retail price of about $150. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay etc).

I do hope this helps! And many thanks with your patience and perseverance with the pictures!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your effort
. regards raminder

You are very welcome!

Experience: Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.