AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have a watercolor painting that our family has owned

Customer Question

I have a watercolor painting that our family has owned for years...think we got it at the goodwill in spokane, washington...I have been trying to find out about the artist but is is hard to tell whether it is J. David or July. Daniels....or I would be way off...it looks like a countryside view of an English village....
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I sent pic.. .hope they went thru

If you used the Add Files feature, there are none here.

If you email, you must
email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line and be sure to use the same email that you used when you signed up for your account so they will recognize your account.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have you found out anything about the painting.

I have spent hours looking and not been able to connect

the painting with a known artist.

I am going to add the photos here and opt-out so that another expert can

answer if they know.

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

This appears to be a print rather than a watercolor. The overall photo I have here is a very tiny thumbnail. Can you post a better overall photo? Also, is anything else written in the bottom margin apart from the artist's name? Any numbers or letters in the lower left?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I made the pic bigger...I think...nothing else in the left hand side.. it is hand signed in pencil....the paper is not glossy...not sure what a print feels like to the touch...I am wondering if it was just a local artist from spokane, washington...I know we have had it for over 30 years...I cannot find anything either...I know it is old but not sure how old...my dad matted it as I believe it was not even in a frame...even if it turns out to be just a print it is still a lovely pic....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If the antique road show is ever in the tri-cities, washington....kennewick, richland, pasco...I might take it up for a look see.

Certainly!

Jennifer

I'm fairly sure the signature is J. David. I'm looking further into that.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It would be very interesting to know anything about the artist..I love the simplicity of the scene...makes me want to be there...like an English or Irish town....

It does seem to be J. David, and a print rather than a painting....but that's where I hit a dead end, unfortunately.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah...I tried to check about artists in spokane, wa....but I am thinking maybe that is a first initial and middle name and not the last....well I appreciate the help...I wish I could find more pics like that...do not even know the year it would have been done in.

I'd say 20th century, perhaps 1970-1980, and possibly English.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We got it iwhen I was in high school or junior college so that would be about the right time.....thank you for all your help...both of you ladies are awesome

Have a great weekend!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You too and stay safe

Sorry I couldn't find anything more for you!

Jennifer