Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have an antique sterling silver cutlery (service ) which

Customer Question

I have an antique sterling silver cutlery (service for twelve) which my parents bought at an auction in South America. A lot of antiques were brought there from Europe as there is a significant European population that settled there centuries ago. It has been in my family for at least 50 yrs however, my parents used it on rare occasions. It also shows some wear from the previous owners. I am unable to get any information locally and was wondering if you can provide me with any.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the mark on the back of one piece. Check random other pieces to make sure they are all the same mark. Also add one photo of one piece so that I can see the pattern, a serving fork, for example.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The marks are all the same on the handles. I tried identifying them but there are thousands. My guess is that this set is French. There is a stamp of an owl on the blades of the knives, but not on the rest of the pieces.

Can you add photos of these marks that you describe? There are none here if you tried. The feature works best if you add one, hit send, then do the next.

I would really love to see photos. I can tell you an owl indicates a French import mark. I have added a photo of the French import mark.

The other marks will really help in determining age, assay , possible maker and value.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is one. I've sent you six but I will split them as per your suggestion.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please let me know if you're receiving them . #2

Yes, I am , two so far.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The owl on the blade. Not sure if the blades are original. Could they have been changed? Or was this typical? #3
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Another close up #4
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Box is not wooden. It has no other markings but it does fit this ser. #5
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dinner knife #6
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cutlery set in box. Complete service for 12. #7
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Serving pieces #8
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've sent 8. Can you confirm? Then I will await your answer. Thanks!

Got the pictures, thanks.

This will take a while as you know marks can be elusive.

No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I finally have an answer for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks again! Happy to wait, I've been very curious.

I am unable to find a match for this mark. I will say that the set is French, blades made by Grand Duc of France (the owl is the Grand Duc Owl) and the set made by another French Company (not uncommon). French sterling marks ALWAYS have a diamond shaped mark, so my opinion is that this is silver plated flatware.

I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer and fill in the blanks if they can. They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for trying, I'll wait to hear from another expert. I too looked at the marks online and could not find a match. It makes me wonder at the rarity of it. When did they start making silver plated cutlery? I think the blades are not silver ( knives), but I also think there is a possibility that these were replaced...