Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an 8 place setting of Maddox & Sons Ltd Viterous

Customer Question

I have an 8 place setting of John Maddox & Sons Ltd Viterous china, I think it is called Elegance made in 1920 possibly. It shows on bottom, Made in England with a crown, and there is a large B. Can you tell me the value of this place setting. I have 68 pieces.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

You have 8 place settings.

Does each person have 7 pieces?

The there would be 12 serving pieces?

Or does each person have 8 pieces and there are 4 serving pieces?

Kind regards,

Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not sure of your question. I have 68 pieces: 8 sm plates, 8 lg plates, 8 lg saucers, 8 sm saucers, 8 fruit bowls, 7 dessert plates, 6 soup bowls, 8 cups, 1 sm platter, 1 lg platter, 1 sm serving bowl, 1 lg serving bowl, 1 gravy boat, 1 sugar bowl, 1 creamer. 1920 Elegance b y John Maddox & Sons Ltd. Viterous. Please give me appraisal. Thank you.

I will return as soon as I am sure I can give you the accurate answer you deserve.

It should take me about 30 minutes.

Kind regards,

Doris

In my research, I was able to determine that your 68 piece set by John Maddock & Sons has

an estimated retail value of $750-875 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA
Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

You can set the retail price at whatever you wish but first try to see what others are asking for similar items in retail shops online or in the retail shops or galleries around you.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris