Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

My motherinlaw has an old violin made by Albmus Mathias in

Customer Question

my motherinlaw has an old violin made by Albmus Mathias in Tyrol Italy . She bought this from Alfred Ziefers?? who defected from GERMANY during the war. He was a violinist in the Berlin Symphony and came to the USA to escape the Nazi's and joined the St Louis symphony but needed money in 1952 so he sold his prize possession to my motherinlaw who is now 88 years old and looking to sell it. We would like to know the estimated value and how to possibly sell this violin. There is also an old BOW and case that go with it. Please advise and thank you for your time. ***** *****
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
Please note I am unable to do live phone conversations, if you get a message asking to do a phone call, this is not from me.
.
If the Violin is a Certified Authentic Mathias Albini Violin with the label ( Labeled Per admirab. Sanguinem tuum.guem o B. Januari pro fidg efludiftk/Omnem Gratiam nobis obtine ob anotem D. N. Jefu Chrifti Am.,) it would have an estimated value on the current market for an average of $25,000.00-30,000.00. If is not one of the original authentic but one of the replica's that were produced in the 1800's to early 1900's in several places in Europe, it would have an estimated value of $3***-**-****.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. We are independent appraisers who are verified to answer questions for the Just Answer site.
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. You must click one of the stars ( or rate expert ) in order for us to be compensated for answering your question.

Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.

.
Glenda,

Please Rate this in order for me to get credit for my work from the Justanswer site.

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.

Let me know if you still need help with this question.

I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.

I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda