Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

I have my Maternal Grandfathers watch, it was lost outside

Customer Question

I have my Maternal Grandfathers watch, it was lost outside the family farm Cow Barn for about 30 years but, is still in excellent condition. It was manufactured by the American Waltham Watch Co.#(###) ###-#### ***** rear case cover is engraved "Keystone Watch Case, Guaranteed, J. Boss 20 years #(###) ###-####. I would like to know the year of manufacture and Model if applicable, the name and location of a reputable watch maker in or around McAllen, Tx. to have the watch cleaned and the case re-plated with gold and the approximate costs.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
Please note I am unable to do live phone conversations, if you get a message asking to do a phone call, this is not from me.

If you can give me the serial number off the inside of the watch I can tell you the value. I cannot tell you where to take it to have it cleaned or replated, we do not have access to that information. There is no data base that lists that information.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is the Apparent Serial no.on the inside of the watch.

Here is the official information for your watch:

Grade: No. 18

Manufacturer: Waltham
Manufacturer Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
Movement Serial Number:(###) ###-####
Grade: No. 18
Model: 1883
Estimated Production Year: 1897
Run Quantity: 10,000
Total Production: 635,614
Size: 18s
Jewels: 7j
Movement Configuration: Openface
Movement Finish: Gilt or Nickel
Movement Setting: Pendant
Plate: Full Plate
Adjusted: No
Railroad Grade: No

The Pocket Watch, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $300.00-375.00 ( restored ) depending on where it is for sale at. For insurance purposes ( cost replacement ) the value is 45-50% higher. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. We are independent appraisers who are verified to answer questions for the Just Answer site.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. You must click one of the stars ( or rate expert ) in order for us to be compensated for answering your question.

Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.

Please Rate this in order for me to get credit for my work from the Justanswer site.

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.

Let me know if you still need help with this question.

I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.

I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
Thank you so much!