rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I just purchased a Tell City Chair Company China Cabinet,

Customer Question

I just purchased a Tell City Chair Company China Cabinet, Young Republic, 2 pieces, 8380 & 8399 pattern numbers. Both pieces are in the #48 Andover finish. It's in excellent condition with just one scuff mark that I can find. I am curious if this has any value before I alter it in any way.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 5 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you! These are what I have found so far.

These piece are in a Colonial Revival style of furniture that was

popular in the 1960's through 70's when these were made by Tell City Furniture.

Tell City first opened in 1950, so they would not be any older than that.

At auction, these pieces would bring less than $100 each, so you are not doing anything sinful by altering them.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I'm confused then. The stickers say "Since 1865", not meaning the pieces were from that time, but the company was founded then. Is it that division of Tell City Chairs was started in the 1950's?

You are correct, my sentence structure was incorrect. I do not know why I chose those words (I do work on a lot of questions and perhaps stayed up too late last night!)

This style was first released in the 1950's, but the style changed a bit over the years and I believe yours to be 60's through 70's models.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.