rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have a small oriental japan hand painted blue china with

Customer Question

i have a small oriental japan hand painted blue china with gold dragons throughout, antique serving pieces. their are three different size tea pots,five tea cups with a i might say Giesha, or oriental women that will appear at the bottom of the cup. 5 sauces, 5 sandwich plates. I live in New Bedford, Ma. I have absolutely no where to start to at least to get an appraiser to look at this set, in my area. Can you send me in the right direction. I believe it may be about 75 years old I its not fake as my father in law gave it to me and he was a long seaman from CapeVerde Islands who would be about 120 years old. Appreciate any help. Just finshed Antique Road Show
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

This is a Japanese moriage dragonware lithophane tea set made in the late 1930's into the early 1960's, mostly for export.

Lithophane refers the vision of the geisha in the bottom of the cup when held to the light. Most of this type of porcelain was made by the factories in Kutani, Japan.

This set has a current value of $350 to $450 based on the number of pieces that you have mentioned.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.