Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

We have a desk that is very similar to a desk that is in

Customer Question

We have a desk that is very similar to a desk that is in Monticello. The desk has two drawers at the bottom that have locks on them. Once the desk is open, there is a green felt desk top and to the right are 3 small compartments. There are also 3 small drawers and in one drawer there are initials which look like E L h h. Your advice as far as an appraisal or a place to have it appraised would be appreciated.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
Please note I am unable to do live phone conversations, if you get a message asking to do a phone call, this is not from me.

What do you mean in Monticello? This is what is called a spinet desk they were originally made in the 1800's from old piano's this one appears to be factory made in the 40's. The original desks had the original piano hinges on them, this one appears to have a normal style hinge.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I took a tour thru Thomas Jefferson's home called Montecello in Virginia and saw a desk almost identical to this except made from a different wood. That desk was made by Sally Hemmings' brother in the Montecello Jointery. Sally Hemmings was Jefferson's slave mistress. Can you give me an estimate of value?

Can you look on this to see if there is a makers name? It may be on the back.