Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

How much is this worth? Birds eye maple drop leaf secretary

Customer Question

How much is this worth? Birds eye maple drop leaf secretary with hand carved face of a man on front and brass railings surround the top. Inside has 2 small drawers and sections and a shelf. Below is a long narrow draw length of the desk. Legs are carved as well. Great shape
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Please upload clear photos taken from all angles, including the underside.

Please see our help page for help uploading images.

Go to

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

If that doesn't work for you:

You can email the pictures to***@******.***, and ask them to forward the pictures to me. You must tell them the pictures are for the Antiques category, and give them your user name and mine, which is Judith-on-Antiques. It is important for you to send the email from the address with which you registered at Just Answer. If you are sending them from a phone, you must put the original email address in the text.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I'm trying to send pictures to your email from my tablet. Have patience, I'm older and have no clue what I'm doing. Thank you for your kindness, ***** ******

Don't worry, Gayle - you'll do it! Just email them to***@******.*** and tell them to forward them to me. You should get a confirmation email from them telling you they got your email. Then we have to wait for them to forward the pictures to me. I'll get back to you as soon as they come. IF you send them and don't get an email back from Support, please tell me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I pray that you can get an answer to me ASAP,cuz dealer is on his way.. I was told many yrs ago this is so unique that its worth is in the thousands. Very little damage because of age, again my grandmother's and hate to sell but we need to repair roof from tornado and ins co. Giving a hard time. Pay a fortune for house insurance and when there is a claim, they don't want to pay.. I was told that this piece could be worth as much as $40,000.???? Sweet Jesus, I pray so. Thank you Judith, hope to hear from you soon, ***** ****** [email protected]

I am so sorry to hear about your tornado damage and your insurance problems! IF you sent the pictures and got a confirmation email, I will get back to you as soon as your pictures arrive, but that could take 24 hours. Don't sell to the dealer! A dealer must build his profit into the price he pays you, so it may be below market value. It almost surely will be below market value. Once you know the fair market value of this secretary you'll be in a better bargaining position.

I have your pictures! I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would say this desk is worth $40,000. Who told you that? On what did he/she base the appraisal?

Is there a label somewhere with the maker's name?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know, I can't bend down to see underneath.. When I first started the question, it said I would have an answer with in minutes. I found out that it cost me $ 58.00. I thought it was $5.00, not $58.00. I'll get in touch with customer service representative tomorrow. I'm disabled and can't stay out of bed anymore. Thank you for all your help. I still don't know what to sell it for?? If not selling to a dealer, who do you recommend I do or how I should sell it? Again, thanks. *****

Hi Gayle,

If you have a problem about the amount, you should contact Support. When they said you'd have an answer within minutes, they meant after I had all the information I needed. Still waiting for you to answer my questions about the person who told you the secretary is worth $40,000.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This was a friend of my Mothers who dealt with antiques, again it was a long time ago. Thank you for all your help with your kindness. I need to get off now because of my pain. Thank you again, Gayle

I'm afraid this is the end of the line for us. I'm gong to Opt Out, which will throw your question open to the other Experts. If someone can answer your question, they will contact you. You don't need to do anything, and I won't be able to communicate with you once I Opt Out.

Good luck!