Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

Is anyone here an expert on Dali lithographs? I'm

Customer Question

Is anyone here an expert on Dali lithographs? I'm finding conflicting reports on this litho being a forgery. It is titled, "The Horseman of Death." This item measures about 20” x 26”.
I am looking for a 2nd opinion before I pay a huge amount to the Dali Archives...
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Unfortunately, no there is no Dali expert on this site. Even if there was, you cannot tell a forgery from an official piece online. There are so many "what-if's" where Dali is concerned. He actually signed a number of blank pages that were then turned in to "unofficial" or fraudulent prints---many of which he never even knew were printed. Yet, they actually will have his real signature.

There were so many problems with Dali around the 60s and 70s. He played poker games for contracts, he agreed to sign blanks but was conned into signing thousands of extras, and some of those blanks were actually sold to publishing houses (one of which was a company that would later be in trouble for selling fakes). That doesn't include the sheets that supposedly some of his secretaries and staff sold and the stuff that Dali himself authorized but not in any actual "official" capacity just so he could get more money. Honestly, half of the time he didn't care who he authorized printing rights to as long as he got paid.

We can tell you what those prints are selling for, but there is no one here than that confirm if it's a forgery or not. For that your best route will be to contact:
Dali Society
2007 West Carson Street,
Torrance, CA 90501(###) ###-####**@******.***

Salvador Dalí Research Center
3 East 69th Street,
New York, NY 10021

The Dali Society is one of the absolute best.
Best Wishes and Good luck.