Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

Japy Freres Gilt Bronze Clock approx. 1880 one sold on ebay

Customer Question

Japy Freres Gilt Bronze Clock approx. 1880 one sold on ebay last year for $9,400. How can I get a fair estimate for the one I have --same as above, if I decide to sell mine. Bill
Category: Antiques
Expert:  nugentappraiser replied 4 months ago.

Very interesting piece in the Louis XVI-style exhibiting a beautifully shaped gilded bronze case. This style and motif continue to attract collectors simply because, in spite of a current diminishing market for heavily ornamented decorative art, items such as this continue to attract international interest. Of course the Freres attribution is a strong value enhancement. A usual market price for this size and decorative complexity is $12,500.00, although recently I have noted some deep discounting in the industry, even on Freres pieces - as low as $4,000.00 for a 25"H X 19"W nineteenth century French gilded clock. Another Freres clock, although a bit more expansive in size and design with three pieces (a central clock and a pair of flanking canelabra) has been shopped around for some time in the $12K to $15K range. I would put a value of $10,000 on your piece. Please let me know if you have further questions. Ray