rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

My friend has a 1939 World's Fair Esso glass bank, about 5

Customer Question

My friend has a 1939 World's Fair Esso glass bank, about 5 inches square. It is packed with coins, the latest of which date to 1941. He would like to remove the coins, but neither of us can see a way to open up the bank. Is there any way to open the bank and retrieve the coins without damaging the bank?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 10 months ago.

The only way to get the coins out is to break the bank. This was made of square glass block for the World's Fair and these have a value of $12.00 to $35.00 depending on condition. Based on that, you can decide whether it is worth it to get at the coins. There are quite a few out there and they are not considered rare.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1939+world%27s+fair+esso+bank&espv=2&biw=1371&bih=781&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKjNWKx7fNAhVD8CYKHRYTCikQ_AUICigD

Any silver coins (dimes, nickels or quarters) that are dated before 1964 are made of 90% silver which would end up being worth more than the bank if the bank is full. Just a thought.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.