rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

My friend has a 1939 World's Fair Esso glass bank, about 5

Customer Question

My friend has a 1939 World's Fair Esso glass bank, about 5 inches square. It is packed with coins, the latest of which date to 1941. He would like to remove the coins, but neither of us can see a way to open up the bank. Is there any way to open the bank and retrieve the coins without damaging the bank?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 5 months ago.

The only way to get the coins out is to break the bank. This was made of square glass block for the World's Fair and these have a value of $12.00 to $35.00 depending on condition. Based on that, you can decide whether it is worth it to get at the coins. There are quite a few out there and they are not considered rare.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1939+world%27s+fair+esso+bank&espv=2&biw=1371&bih=781&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKjNWKx7fNAhVD8CYKHRYTCikQ_AUICigD

Any silver coins (dimes, nickels or quarters) that are dated before 1964 are made of 90% silver which would end up being worth more than the bank if the bank is full. Just a thought.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.