Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I inherited what i believe to be an ornately carved oak

Customer Question

I inherited what i believe to be an ornately carved oak flemish chair. how would i know its age and worth?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
in addition, the front left leg is broken ( would be easy to repair since there is a ball/ groove that fits together and
could be glued.) how will this effect the value?
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 5 months ago.

Hello
Thank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed.

Could you provide a picture of any metal part-nail, screws..etc-of the furniture?

Also, could you inspect the furniture to try to locate the manufacturer label or mark if present?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My mother bought this chair from a designer who decorated her house with antiques that he found ....this was in
1960. The chair is covered with a velvet fabric and bound/nailed on bottom of chair covering springs and wood.
Therefore, if there are any markings or old nails/screws or marks/labels they are covered by fabric and new springs
and wood blocks. The reupholstering was nicely done and I hate to tear apart. There is a place on the upper back
where the old wood nails are showing through. I am attaching photos of all of these including the broken leg.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am still waiting on your reply......are you still researching? Just making sure we are still in conversation.