Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I have a doll that I cant seem to identify I hope you can

Customer Question

hi Robert I have a doll that I cant seem to identify I hope you can help I have attached photos of the doll and a sketch of the symbol on the back of the doll ,it looks like ta or tr but not real sure I hope you can help with age her make and value... I also have a brass candle holder made in Italy I have also attached a photo any information on this item would be great thank you..
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 4 months ago.

Just letting you know I got your question on the doll and the candle holder.

I'll have an answer for you as soon as possible.

I'm still away on a short break, but checking in to the site for a couple of hours each day, so should have an answer for you later today or tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hi Robert it has been quite awhile since you have responded and we are wondering if you have found any information on the doll and candle holder we have enquired about
Expert:  Robert S. replied 3 months ago.

Thanks so much for getting in touch and reminding me about this one.

It had slipped through the cracks, I'm so sorry.

I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can tomorrow.

Many thanks for your patience,

(1) Doll.

I've had a long look for this mark in my references and can't come up with anything close, I'm afraid. She may be Japanese made, in which case the symbol you drew could possibly be in kanji script, but without a photo of it, it's hard to say for sure.

Judging by the features, and the synthetic fiber hair and the stand, I would date her to the 1950s or 1960s, but no older than that.

As such, she would have an eBay/auction value in the range of $20 - $45.

Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $90.

(1) Candelabra marked "Made in Italy"

Your rococo, three-arm candleholder dates to the 1960s when this "Holywood Regency" style was all the rage. It was cast from good quality brass and is a nicely made piece, a little better than one normally sees from this era and origin. It would no doubt polish up to a nice shine if you had the time and or inclination.

Looking at comparables in the sales records, this example, of your candelabra sold on line for $20 which probably about right for one of these.

So $18 - $28 at auction or on line and retail/replacement value: $50.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks Robert the mark is too worn to get a photo we have been looking at it again and we believe it says TR any help

Thanks for getting back to me. It's a shame the mark is not photographable.

I've scoured every source I have and the only "TR" (monogram) mark that I can find in my references is this one.

But this is different from your drawing, particularly the shaft of the T which is straight and not bent to the left as on yours.

This straight TR is an (as yet) unidentified German maker from the early 20th century. Also, all these "Belton" types, as this one is, have glass eyes whereas yours has painted eyes so it's almost certainly not the same maker.

I wish I could tell you more but without a recognizable mark there's so little to go on.

Best wishes,