Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a sugar and creamer set that my father got after s

Customer Question

I have a sugar and creamer set that my father got after his parents died in the 1930's. I think they are from the 1890's. I am attaching a photo rather than try to describe them. I would like to know the maker and pattern name or any information you know about this.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.

Are these marked at all on the underside?

~Nora

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is a mark on them. A circle with Germany printed inside with #87 in the center. I am trying to send a photo of the mark. Also, did you get photo of sugar and creamer? will try to send both again.
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the additional images. The stamp with country of origin mark indicates that this was made post 1893. The style, which is distinctly Art Nouvuea in form with the whiplash shape of the handles dates this to 1895 - 1905. The Calla Lily flower was also a decorative element of Art Nouveau. The stamp is not attributed to a specific maker, of which there were countless number there at that time. The material is porcelain, which is a mixture of kaolin and petuntse clays which are rich in that region. The floral decoration was transfer printed by hand then embellished by hand, though not painted on by freehand. On today's market, the set can sell for a high of $45 at auction. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $90 for the set. These were selling for signficantly higher a few decades ago, however the market is now currently flat on them.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora