Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

French painter who lived in Holland. Large oil. About 5ft

Customer Question

For Glenda Only - French painter who lived in Holland. Large oil. About 5ft wide. Registered.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is a small write up attached to the back.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello

Can you read on the write up what the first name of the artist is?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Madelene or Madeline Bertie-Petit. However, on the painting it says "Paris T.Petit"

Hello

The scene is Paris. If you look on the note, to the left side doesn't it say the artist's name? The person who signed the note is not the artist I do not believe.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It says Madeline or Madelene Bertie-Petit. I thought that Paris was the name of the place. However, I also thought T. Petit was some how related to the painter. Thanks for your help.

Hello

yes, it is a Paris street scene. I am trying to find how why they signed it T Petit. Not Madelene Bertie - Petit. I will keep looking

Glenda

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any update?

Hello

Well, I found a Madeline Bertie-Petit, that is French, that went to Holland. The only thing it is showing she was a Nun, it does not show any art. I am wondering if this is the same person, since you have the note, and perhaps she painted but, just did not become a known artist. Painted and maybe sold her art locally, or for Charities.

I can value this, I ran across several paintings that are similar and also had unknown listed artists. If you want me to?

Glenda

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not sure. It says she was well known and had art in major galleries. At least that's what the note states.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She studied at the Academy of Art and Sculpture and regularly had exhibits and shows and is well known in all principle galleries in the big cities. Whatever that means?

Yes, I read that note, I am wondering if she was just popular in Holland and I am also thinking that the artist is T Petit, not the lady that signed the note. I think the lady that signed the note left this message about the artist. Who is T Petit. I think I need to research T Petit to see what I can find.

I will let you know

Glenda