Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I inherited a set of Sterling silverware. 8 piece set. Says

Customer Question

I inherited a set of Sterling silverware. 8 piece set. Says Westmorland sterling
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

What pattern is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure. I am adding a photo
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

What does it say on the back?

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The pattern is Rose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Westmoreland/ sterling
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Can you tell me if you also have any serving pieces in your set of Service for 8

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cake server and knife
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ladle
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

One more question is each place setting 5 pcs, ? Knife, fork , salad fork , spoon, teaspoon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 pieces of each
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sell as a set or for the silver?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello
.

Tell me what the pieces are please? Do you mean this set is a service for 8 with 8 pcs in each place setting

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

I need to know how many pieces you have total?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a service for 8. 16 salad 8 dinner forks, 8 teaspoons and 8 knives and 8 table
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello
.

The set has an estimated retail ( Book Value , Insurance replacement ) of $3***-**-****.00 The price they would sell for in an Antique shop, or high end Antique Website would be -$2***-**-****.00 and higher depending where it is located. Auction values on places such as Ebay on today's market they are only bringing an average of $1***-**-****.00 depending on who bids on it. That does not mean you cannot ask whatever you would like for this, there is no set rule that says you have to sell for auction price or even the retail value. Items are sold all the time for much more then they are worth and sadly at times for much less then they are worth. If it were mine and I was selling it, I would list this for $2***-**-****.00 and see how it does. If it did not sell then I would hang onto it for a bit and try again. Selling always depends on the right person coming along and wanting what you have.. I would not sell this for Silver it will not pay as much as selling this as a set. If they melt the silver out of this there will not be a lot of pure silver.

.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. We are independent appraisers who are verified to answer questions for the Just Answer site.
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. You must click one of the stars
( or rate expert ) in order for us to be compensated for answering your question. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
:) ( smiles )
.
Please keep in mind if another expert answers behind me and you are happy with my answer, please make sure to click the rating for me! It may appear confusing since their answer would come in to your email after mine does.
.
Glenda

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.

Let me know if you still need help with this question.

I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this. So this answer can be rated by you .

I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda